Vidya Balan (Actress) Biography, Personal Life, Physical Statistics, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Vidya Balan is an Indian actress who is known for depicting strong protagonists. She has received several awards, including a National Film Award, five Filmfare Awards, and six Screen Awards. She was also awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2014. Vidya Balan wished for a career in film from a young age, and had her first acting role in the 1995 sitcom Hum Paanch. She featured in television commercials and music videos before she made her feature film debut in Bengali drama Bhalo Theko. Her first Hindi film Parineeta was much praised.
Name: Vidya P. Balan
DOB: January 1, 1979
Birth Place: Poothamkurussy, Puthur, Palakkad, Kerala, India
Home Town: Mumbai, India
Home Address: A sea facing flat in Juhu Tara Road, Mumbai
Best Friends: Ekta Kapoor, Huma Qureshi
Hobbies: reading, poetry
Debut Work: Bengali film- Bhalo Theko (2003) , Bollywood film- Parineeta (2005), TV: Hum Paanch (1995)
Movies: Begum Jaan (2017), Tumhari Sulu (2017), Kahaani 2 (2016), Te3n (2016), Hamari Adhuri Kahani (2015),Bobby Jasoos (2014), Shaadi Ke Side Effects (2014), Ghanchakkar (2013), Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobara (2013), Ferrari Ki Sawaari (2012), Kahaani (2012), Urumi (2012), Dum Maaro Dum (2011), No One Killed Jessica (2011)
TV Serials: Hum Paanch (1995 – 2006), Hanste Khelte
Image Source: Vidya Balan with Sridevi Boney Kapoor
Height: 163 centimetres
Weight: 70 kilograms
Hair Color: Black
Marital Status: Married
Husband: Siddharth Roy Kapur (Businessman and Producer)
Father: P. R. Balan (Executive Vice-President of Digicable)
Mother: Saraswathy Balan
Sister: Priya Balan
School: St. Anthony Girls’ High School, Mumbai
College (Graduation): St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
College (Post-Graduation): University of Mumbai, Mumbai
Educational Qualification: Master’s degree in Sociology
Cars: Mercedes E-Class
Bikes: Not Applicable
House: Houses in Khar, Mumbai and Juhu, Mumbai
Movies: 10 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows: Not Known
Net Income: $15 million (estimate)
Film: Gol Maal (1979) and Before Sunrise, Before Sunset
Actor: Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, Morgan Freeman, Al Pacino
Actress: Shabana Azmi, Madhuri Dixit, Kate Winslet, Julie Delphy, Julia Roberts
Song: Music by Zakir Hussain, Michael Jackson, Enrique Iglesias, Indian Ocean, Midival Punditz
More Information and Facts about Vidya Balan
- In 2009, Vidya was involved in a controversy when she mentioned a previous relationship in which “caustic remarks” were made at her due to her weight.
- Vidya is trained in carnatic music and briefly studied the dance forms of Bharatnatyam and Kathak.
- She practices vegetarianism and was listed as “India’s hottest vegetarian” in polls conducted by PETA in 2011 and 2012.
- Vidya also promotes humanitarian causes and supports charitable institutions. In March 2011, she endorsed World Wildlife Fund’s Earth Hour campaign in India. She campaigned for the cause of nutrition in India for Child In Need Institute (CINI). Also, Vidya visited a village in Mirzapur, Uttar Pradesh to participate in a campaign to promote children’s education and the empowerment of women.
- After portraying strong protagonists in Paa, Ishqiya, No One Killed Jessica, The Dirty Picture and Kahaani, Vidya was credited in the media for pioneering a movement that breaks the stereotypical portrayal of heroines in Bollywood.
- Vidya occupied the top slot in Rediff.com’s annual listing of “Bollywood’s Best Actress” for two consecutive years (2010–11). She also featured in the list for the years 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2012. In 2010, she featured in Filmfare’s listing of the “Women we love”.In 2012, Verve enumerated her as one of India’s “Young Power Women”.
- An ardent devotee of Bhagwan Shri Sai Baba, she makes it a point to attend Mandirs every Thursday. She is proficient in Tamil, Malyalam, Hindi, English, Bengali, and can also read Urdu.
- Since Silk Smitha was known to be a heavy smoker, Vidya Balan took up heavy chain smoking to prepare for her role as her in her film “The Dirty Picture” (2011). She would smoke around a pack a day, and sometimes before shooting she would smoke up to ten cigarettes consecutively to get in character. She claimed she would get big headaches and sometimes the crew had to assist her because she’d feel sick. Once filming ended, she straightaway quit smoking.
Image Source: Instagram/VidyaBalan