Sridevi (Actress) Biography, Death Cause Personal Life, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Sridevi Kapoor is an Indian film actress. She is one of India’s highest-paid and most popular celebrities and has worked in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Malayalam and Kannada films. Such is her popularity that she has been called the first female superstar of Hindi cinema. In 2013, the Government of India awarded her the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honor. She was also voted ‘India’s Greatest Actress in 100 Years’ in a CNN-IBN national poll. Sridevi has had the honour of winning five Filmfare awards.
Name: Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan (Sridevi Kapoor)
DOB: August 13, 1963
Death: February 24, 2018
Birth Place: Sivakasi, Madras State, India
Home Town: Sivakasi, Madras State, India
Home Address: Sea Springs, Bungalow No. 2 Green Acres, 7 Bungalows, Andheri West, Mumbai
Best Friends: Shabana Azmi, Rekha
Hobbies: Painting, dancing
Sridevi Kapoor died on 24th February, 2018, due to cardiac arrest. She went for her nephew Mohit Marwah’s wedding in Dubai and was found unconscious in the hotel room’s bathroom. Her husband Boney Kapoor found her motionless in the bath-tub and rushed to the hospital, but was declared brought dead.
Debut Work: Film Debut : Tamil- Muruga (1967), Bollywood (child actor) – Julie (1975), Bollywood – Sadma (1983), TV Debut: Malini Iyer (2004)
Movies: Nagina (1986), ChaalBaaz (1989), Lamhe (1991), Khuda Gawah (1992), Gumrah (1993), Laadla (1994) and Judaai (1997)
TV Serials: Malini Iyer (2004), Kaboom (judge)
Height: 168 centimetres
Weight: 57 kilograms
Hair Color: Black
Marital Status: Married
Husband: Boney Kapoor (Producer)
BF: Mithun Chakraborty (Actor)
Kids: Jhanvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor, Anshula Kapoor (Step-Daughter), Arjun Kapoor (Step-Son)
Father: Ayyapan Yanger (Lawyer)
Sridevi with her father
Image Source: Instagram/Sridevi
Mother: Rajeswari Yanger
Brothers/ Sister: 2 step brothers, 1 sister
School: Not Known
College (Graduation):Not Known
College (Post-Graduation): Not Known
Educational Qualification: Not Known
Cars: Bentley, 6 other luxury cars including Audi and Ford
Bikes: Not Applicable
House: 3 houses
Movies: 5 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows: Not Known
Net Income: $37 Million (estimate)
Sridevi with her family
Image Source: Instagram/Sridevi Kapoor
Film: Chandni, Nagina, Mr. India
Actor: Shahrukh Khan, Shammi Kapoor
Actress: Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts
Song: Michael Jackson’s music
More Information and Facts about Sridevi
- Sridevi was offered a role in Jurassic Park by Steven Spielberg. She refused because it wasn’t a starring role and it would have meant taking a pause from Bollywood at a time when she was at the peak of her career.
- Sridevi spells and signs her name as ‘Sreedevi’, not Sridevi. Somehow, when credits are written in Hindi films, the name ended up as Sridevi so she chose to keep it that way.
- At the height of her career, Sridevi received countless marriage proposals from wealthy American and British born Indians who saw her as the perfect trophy wife. One of her rumoured suitors was Hollywood movie producer Ashok Amritraj.
- Jeetendra and Sridevi were paired romantically opposite each other in 16 films.
- Sridevi was the utmost paid Hindi actress from 1985-1992 and the 2nd highest paid Hindi actress from 1993-1996.
- Sridevi Kapoor could not speak Hindi when she traded into the Hindi film industry. She dubbed her dialogues for the first time in Chandni (1989).
- Jaya Prada was considered Sridevi’s strongest opponent and didn’t share a cordial relationship. During the shoot of Maqsad (1984), Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra decided to lock them up in a room hoping that they would reconcile but their plan miscarried because when they opened the door, both of them were sitting silently in the two corners of the room.
- After the Toronto premiere, some international media outlets addressed Sridevi as the “Meryl Streep of India.” America’s entertainment weekly Variety wrote in its review of English Vinglish that it found Sridevi “Disarmingly charming in a manner that recalls Audrey Hepburn.”
- In 2012, Sridevi Kapoor appeared in Aamir Khan’s TV show Satyamev Jayte as a surprise to an interviewee who had been sexually abused as a child. She also wrote a letter to the government in support of passing a law criminalizing sexual abuse of children, initiated by Aamir Khan.
- Sridevi Kapoor has a passion for painting. In 2010, her paintings were sold by an international art auction house.
- She got the nickname of ‘Thunder Thighs’ because she wore short skirts during a lot of her dance numbers, after her film ‘Himmatwala’ in 1983
- She is on the Board of Director at the Asian Academy of film and television.
- The film ‘Tohfa’ made Sridevi one of the leading actresses of Bollywood and Filmfare magazine declaring her “Unquestionably No.1” on their cover. Sadma (1983), which is a remake of her Tamil film Moondram Pirai, brought Sridevi critical acclaim, and is in iDiva’s list of ’10 Must Watch Movies That Weren’t Blockbusters’.
- Sridevi also remains one of the highest earning actresses of Bollywood with Hindustan Times maintaining that she was “the only actress who nearly touched the one crore mark in the Nineties”.
- Mom released in July 2017 to positive reviews, with critics praising Sridevi’s performance.
- After the worldwide achievement of English Vinglish, Sridevi became the only actress in Bollywood to make a successful comeback with a primary role after marriage and a long pause. Box Office Capsule called the film the “Golden Comeback of the Queen”. Further, Director Gauri Shinde featured her in the Financial Times 2012 list of ’25 Indians To Watch’.
- The actress walked for designers Priya and Chintan at the Lakme Fashion Week and again for Queenie Dhodhy at the HDIL India Couture Week. In 2010, Sridevi again played show-stopper for designer Neeta Lulla at Lakme Fashion Week. Again, Sridevi walked the ramp for fashion designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee at Delhi Couture Week 2012.
Featured Image Source: Instagram/Sridevi Kapoor