Shabana Azmi (Actress) Biography, Personal Life, Physical Statistics, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Shabana Azmi is an Indian actress of film, television and theatre. After her debut, she soon became one of the leading actresses of Parallel Cinema, and received government patronage during the times. She is regarded as one of the finest actresses in India and her roles in films in a variety of genres have got her praise and awards, including a record of five wins of the National Film Award for Best Actress and numerous international honours. She is also the recipient of five Filmfare Awards, and was honored among “women in cinema” at the 30th International Film Festival of India. The Government of India awarded her with Padma Shri in 1988.
Name: Shabana Kaifi Azmi
Profession: Actress, Politician, Social Activist
DOB: September 18, 1950
Birth Place: Hyderabad, India
Home Town: Mumbai, India
Home Address: 702, Sagar Samrat, Greenfields, Juhu, Mumbai, India
Best Friends: Not Known
Hobbies: Travelling, listening to music, watching movies and reading
Debut Work: Ankur (1974)
Movies: Nishant (1975), Junoon (1978), Susman (1986), Antarnaad (1992), Shatranj Ke Khilari (The Chess Players), Khandhar, Genesis, Ek Din Achanak, Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hai
Height: 168 centimetres
Weight: 65 kilograms
Body: Not Known
Hair Color: Black
Marital Status: Married
Husband: Javed Akhtar (Poet, lyricist, scriptwriter)
BF: Shekhar Kapur (Filmmaker), Benjamin Gilani (ex-fiancee)
Kids: Farhan Akhtar, Zoya Akhtar
Father: Late Kaifi Azmi (Poet)
Mother: Shaukat Azmi (Stage Actress)
Brother: Baba Azmi (Cinematographer)
School: Queen Mary School, Mumbai
College (Graduation): St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
College (Post-Graduation): Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
Educational Qualification: Degree in Psychology
Cars: Mercedes Benz
Bikes: Not Known
House: Various properties in India
Movies: 1 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows:Not Known
Net Income: $3 million (estimate)
Actor: Shashi Karoor, Amitabh Bachchan and Dev Anand
Actress: Madhubala and Nargis
Song: Not Known
More Information and Facts about Shabana Azmi
- Azmi has performed in over 120 Hindi and Bengali films in both mainstream and independent cinema, and has acted in several foreign films as well.
- Several of her films have been labelled progressive in nature, portraying Indian society and its customs and traditions.
- Azmi is also a social and women’s rights activist.
- She is a Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Population Fund (UNPFA).
- The President of India gave her a nominated (unelected) membership of the Rajya Sabha.
- She received the National Film Award successively for three years from 1983 to 1985 for her roles in Arth, Khandhar and Paar. Godmother (1999) earned her another National Film Award, making her score five.
- Her other successes include Manmohan Desai’s Amar Akbar Anthony and Parvarish and Prakash Mehra’s Jwalamukhi.
- Azmi starred in Hollywood productions of John Schlesinger’s Madame Sousatzka (1988) and Roland Joffe’s City of Joy (1992).
- She has participated in many stage plays including M. S. Sathyu’s Safed Kundali (1980), and Feroz Abbas Khan’s Tumhari Amrita.
- She explored Singapore on a task with the Singapore Repertory Theatre Company, acting in Ingmar Bergman’s version of Ibsen’s A Doll’s House.
- She travelled around the UK, Dubai and India with British production Happy Birthday Sunita by Theatre Company Rifco Arts in 2014.