Rekha (Actress) Biography, Personal Life, Physical Statistics, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Rekha is an Indian film actress who is renowned for her adaptability and recognized as one of the finest actresses in Indian cinema. In spite of the success of several of her early films, she was often criticized for her looks and it was not until the 1970s that she got credit as an actress. She has acted in over 180 films in her career of over 50 years. She has often played strong female characters and has also appeared in arthouse films or parallel cinema. She has won three Filmfare Awards, two for Best Actress and one for Best Supporting Actress, for her characters in Khubsoorat (1980), Khoon Bhari Maang (1988) and Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (1996), correspondingly.
Name: Bhanurekha Ganesan
Nickname: The Bollywood Queen, Rekhaji, Madame X
Profession: Actress, Politician
DOB: October 10, 1954
Birth Place: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Home Town: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Home Address: Sea Spring, Bungalow No.2, B.J. Road, Bandra (W), Mumbai
Best Friends: Kajol
Hobbies: Writing, yoga, making charcoal sketches
Debut Work: Child Artist- Rangula Ratnam (Telugu, 1966), Adult- Operation Jackpot Nalli C.I.D 999 (Kannada, 1969)
Movies: Khubsoorat (1980), Khoon Bhari Maang (1988), Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (1996), Umrao Jaan (1981)
Height: 168 centimetres
Weight: 60 kilograms
Hair Color: Black
Marital Status: Divorced
Husband: Late Vinod Mehra (rumored), Late Mukesh Agarwal
BF: Biswajit Chatterjee (Actor), Late Vinod Mehra (Former Actor), Sajid Khan (Actor), Late Navin Nischol (Actor), Jeetendra (Actor), Shatrughan Sinha (Actor), Yash Kohli (Film Producer), Amitabh Bachchan (Actor), Late Mukesh Agarwal (Entrepreneur), Akshay Kumar (Actor, Rumoured)
Father: Gemini Ganesan (Tamil Actor)
Mother: Pushpavalli (Telugu Actress)
Brother/Sister: Sathish Kumar Ganesan, Kamala Selvaraj, Radha, Jaya Sreedhar, Vijaya Chamundeswari, Revathi Swaminathan, Narayani Ganesh
School: Church Park Convent, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
College (Graduation): Not Known
College (Post-Graduation): Not Known
Educational Qualification: Not Known
Cars: BMW 640d, XUV 500
Bikes: Not Known
House: Various properties in India
Movies: 1-3 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows:Not Known
Net Income: $30 million (estimate)
Film: Not Known
Actor: Dilip Kumar
Actress: Kangana Ranaut
Song: Not Known
More Information and Facts about Rekha
- Rekha won the National Film Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of a classical courtesan in Umrao Jaan (1981).
- Although her career has gone through certain phases of deterioration, she has reinvented herself abundant times and has been recognized for her skill of sustaining her status.
- In 2010, she was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- Her parents were not wedded when she was born, and her father did not recognize his paternity during her childhood.
- Rekha has one full sister, one half-brother and five half-sisters.
- She had two films released in 1970, Amma Kosam and Sawan Bhadon, which was considered her acting debut in Bollywood. The latter became a hit, making Rekha a star overnight.
- Despite the success of her films, she was often scorned for her looks.
- She had to learn Hindi, as that was not her naturally spoken language.
- She received her first nomination for Best Actress at the Filmfare Awards for Ghar.
- Rekha was still playing principal roles at a time when younger female stars rose to fame.
- In 2015, she appeared in R. Balki’s Shamitabh, where she played herself.
- She was called the reigning Queen of Indian Cinema at the 2012 IIFA Awards held in Singapore, and was given the “Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema (Female)” award, or the Lifetime Achievement Award.