R. Madhavan (Actor) Biography, Personal Life, Physical Statistics, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Madhavan is an Indian actor, writer and film producer. He has received three Filmfare Awards and an award from the Tamil Nadu State Film Awards along with acknowledgment and nominations from other organisations. He has been described as one of the few actors in India who is able to achieve pan-Indian appeal, having appeared in films from seven different languages.
Name: Madhavan Balaji Ranganathan
Profession: Actor, Writer, Television host, Producer
DOB: June 1, 1970
Birth Place: Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
Home Town: Tamil Nadu, India
Home Address: Mumbai, India
Best Friends:Shilpa Shetty,Bipasha Basu, Aamir Khan and Abhishek Bachchan
Hobbies: Playing golf, biking
Debut Work: Shanti Shanti Shanti (1998, Kannada film), Inferno (1997, English film), Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein (2001, Bollywood), Alaipayuthey (2000, Tamil film)
Movies: Saala Khadoos (2016), Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015), Jodi Breakers (2012), F.A.L.T.U (2011), Tanu Weds Manu (2011), Jhootha Hi Sahi (2010)
TV Serials: Banegi Apni Baat (1996), Sony Entertainment Television’s Deal Ya No Deal (host), Savdhaan India (host) (2016)
Height: 179 centimetres
Weight: 72 kilograms
Body: Chest Measurements: 43 Inches, Waist Measurements: 34 inches, Bicep Measurements: 14 Inches
Hair Color: Black
Marital Status: Married
Wife: Sarita Birje
GF: Sarita Birje
Father: Ranganathan (worked as an executive in Tata Steel)
Mother: Saroja (was manager at Bank of India)
School: D.B.M.S. English School, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand
College (Graduation): Rajaram College, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
College (Post-Graduation): Kishinchand Chellaram College, Mumbai
Educational Qualification: Degree in Electronics, Post Graduation in Public Speaking
Cars: BMW 7-Series, Range Rover, Audi
Bikes: Yamaha V-max, BMW K1600 GTL
House: House in Chennai worth around 18 Crore rupees
Movies: 6 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows: Not Known
Net Income: $16 Million (estimate)
Film: Taare Zameen Par, Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Baahubali
Actor: Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan, Kamal Haasan
Actress: Deepika Padukone
Song: Music of A.R. Rahman
More Information and Facts about R. Madhavan
- In the mid-2000s, Madhavan actively pursued a career in Hindi films, by appearing in supporting roles inRang De Basanti (2006), Guru (2007) and 3 Idiots (2009), which went on to become the highest grossing Indian film of all time upon release.
- He simultaneously worked on Tamil films, gaining critical acclaim for Evano Oruvan (2007) and Yavarum Nalam (2009).
- After appearing in further box office hits, Tanu Weds Manu (2011) and Vettai (2012), Madhavan took a break from acting. Making a comeback in 2015 with Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015), Irudhi Suttru (2016) and Vikram Vedha (2017), his roles were critically and commercially acclaimed. His performance in Irudhi Suttru even got him Best Actor awards at the Filmfare, IIFA and SIIMA award ceremonies.
- He received training with the British Army, the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, which he would have joined but for the fact that he missed the age cut-off by six months. After he lost out on the place, he began teaching courses on public speaking and personality development skills in Kolhapur. He represented India at the Young Businessmen Conference in Tokyo, Japan in 1992. During his stretch in Mumbai, he opted to create a portfolio and submit it to a modelling agency.
- Madhavan did advertisements for brands including Bajaj, Ponds, Fair and Lovely and TVS, before signing a major endorsing deal with Pepsi and advertising company, IMG. In 2007, Madhavan endorsed UniverCell. Madhavan also signed a contract with the mobile phone network, Airtel for promotions in South India before being promoted as the pan-Indian ambassador for the brand a year later.
- His advertisements with Vidya Balan for Airtel won critical acclaim, and brought in film offers for the pair to feature together. In June 2010, marketers from Arun Excello promoted a housing project in Oragadam, Chennai in a similar fashion to the release of a new film featuring Madhavan. With film-inspired posters and billboards put up around Chennai, the advertisement campaign attracted huge curiosity and the project became a success.
- His long-term work with jewellery brand, Joy Alukkas, led to the company creating life size wax models of him to place in their showrooms from January 2011.
- Maruti Suzuki, for whom Madhavan is the brand ambassador, launched a special edition of the Suzuki Wagon R car calling it the Madhavan Signature Edition in September 2013.
- In 2015, online market place Snapdeal signed on Aamir Khan and Madhavan to be the company’s ambassadors, with Snapdeal attempting to use Madhavan’s popularity in South India to market their services.
- Madhavan is a vegetarian and endorses PETA. In 2006, Madhavan was voted the “cutest male vegetarian” by an online poll conducted by the NGO, People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- In 2010, he wrote a letter to the CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken, on behalf of PETA, urging them to stop mistreatment of birds by the fast-food industry outlets and the killing of animals. He requested the boycott of KFC in India over animal welfare and conditions. In addition, Madhavan was named PETA India’s 2012 “Person Of The Year”.
- Madhavan is one of the few actors in India who gathers pan-Indian appeal, with his success in establishing himself in the North and the South Indian film industries, seeing him receive multiple offers as a brand ambassador. Furthermore, it has led to producers offering him lead roles in bilingual films such as the English-Malayalam crossover film Nothing But Life and the Hindi-Tamil projects, Yavarum Nalam and Irudhi Suttru. Moreover, most of his Tamil films are dubbed into Telugu, where he has created a box office market without appearing in a single straight Telugu film as a lead actor.
- Madhavan holds a significant female fan following, which established after his romantic roles in Alaipayuthey and Minnale.
- Madhavan actively keeps contact with fans, maintaining a fan email account, a Facebook fan page and a Twitter account as well as being one of the first actors of Tamil films to turn blogger with entries in the year 2000.