Farhan Akhtar (Actor) Biography, Personal Life, Physical Statistics, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Farhan Akhtar is an Indian film director, screenwriter, producer, actor, playback singer and television host. He began his career in Bollywood by working as an assistant director in Lamhe (1991) and Himalay Putra (1997). He then established a production company that is Excel Entertainment and made his directorial debut with Dil Chahta Hai (2001) and received critical praise. The film also won a National award. Following it, he made Lakshya (2004) and had his Hollywood debut through the soundtrack of Bride and Prejudice (2004), for which he wrote the lyrics. He also made the commercially successful Don (2006).
Name: Farhan Akhtar
Nickname: Not Known
Profession: Actor, Producer, Director, Screenwriter, Singer
DOB: January 9, 1974
Birth Place: Mumbai, Maharashtra India
Home Town: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Home Address: Sea Spring Bungalow No 1, B J Road, Bandstand, Mumbai
Best Friends: Hrithik Roshan, Ritesish Sidhwani, Shahrukh Khan, Karan Johar
Hobbies: Collecting gadgets, Singing
Debut Work: Director: Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Actor: Rock On!! (2008)
Movies: Rock On!! (2008), Rock On 2 (2016), Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011), Wazir (2016)
TV Serials: Kaun Banega Crorepati, I Can Do That, Oye! It’s Friday!
Height: 175 centimetres
Weight: 68 kilograms
Body: Chest Measurements: 41 Inches, Waist Measurements: 30 Inches, BicepMeasurements: 14 Inches
Hair Color: Black
Marital Status: Separated
Wife: Riya Jain (separated), Adhuna Bhabani (separated)
GF: Adhuna Bhabani (Hair stylist)
Kids: Shakya & Akira
Father: Javed Akhtar (lyricist and scriptwriter)
Mother: Honey Irani (actress & screenwriter), Shabana Azmi (stepmother)
Sister: Zoya Akhtar (director & screenwriter)
School: Maneckji Cooper School, Mumbai
College (Graduation): H.R. College of Commerce and Economics (dismissed)
College (Post-Graduation): Not Attended
Educational Qualification: High School
Cars: Range Rover Red Edition, M350 CDI SUV
Bikes: Not Known
House: Apartment in Mumbai worth around 3 Crore rupees
Movies: 15 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows: Not Known
Net Income: $22 million (estimate)
Film: The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Actor: Guru Dutt, Bimal Roy, Raj Kapoor, Vijay Anand, Robert Di Nero, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Woody Allen, Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock
Actress: Preity Zinta
Song: Not Known
More Information and Facts about Farhan Akhtar
- Akhtar entered Bollywood at the age of 17, assisting directors and cinematographers. He dropped out of college and did various jobs like working for a TV production house and setting up his own production house, Excel Entertainment with childhood friend Ritesh Sidhwani.
- Farhan made his directorial debut in Hindi cinema with the 2001 hit, Dil Chahta Hai (2001), which starred Aamir Khan. The movie got quite a few nominations for diverse awards, and won the Filmfare best screenplay award. His next project was Lakshya (2004) with Hrithik Roshan, which was released in 2004. Though the movie did not do as well at the box office, it won him much critical acclaim.
- He then directed a re-creation of the 1978 cult classic Amitabh Bachchan film, Don (1978) called Don (2006) which was a huge achievement at the box office. He then produced the film Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. (2007) which also did well at the box office.
- Rock On!! (2008) was a film in which he starred and also produced along with wroting the dialogues for it, acted in it and learned how to sing for songs like ‘Rock On’ and ‘Tum Ho Toh’.
- He was the host of Oye! It’s Friday! (2008) which is a celebrity talk show.
- He works frequently with the producer and friend Ritesh Sidhwani. Till now, as of 2009, he has produced all the films directed by Farhan
- Also, he frequently works with the music director trio of Shankar Mahadevan, Ehsaan Noorani and Loy Mendonsa credited as Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. Till 2009 they have composed music in all the films that Farhan has directed that is, Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Lakshya (2004), Don (2006) and starred in that is, Rock On!! (2008) and Luck by Chance (2009).
- In all his movies he only uses the song lyrics written by his father Javed Akhtar.
- His movies frequently have some sequences shot in Goa, India. Until 2009, just about every movie that he has directed was shot there atleast for a while e.g. Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Don (2006), Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. (2007), Rock On!! (2008), Luck by Chance (2009).
- He loves to write poetries in English and Urdu.
- He is the celebrity endorser for German watch brand – A Lange.
- He directed the music video for the 1998 hit song “Breathless” from the debut album of Shankar Mahadevan, which was what made him famous.
- In 2008, he started directing a film titled “A Voice From The Sky” and it was based on the invention of the telephone. Later, he shelved the film and started Don 2 instead.
- Akhtar appeared as one of the 9 judges in the beauty pageant Femina Miss India (2002). He was the judge on the first season of the dance-reality show Nach Baliye (2005). He hosted a TV show on NDTV Imagine, called Oye! It’s Friday!
- He has endorsed several brands like Hindustan Unilever’s water purifier Pureit, Chivas Regal, Britannia Nutri Choice Biscuits, IndusInd Bank, Dulux Paint, and Titan Industries.
- Men Against Rape and Discrimination or MARD is a social campaign launched by Akhtar. The idea came to the mind of Akhtar when in August 2012, Pallavi Purkayastha, a lawyer by profession, was sexually assaulted and then killed by her home watchman.