Anupam Kher (Actor) Biography, Personal Life, Physical Statistics, Education, Luxuries, Income & More
Anupam Kher is an actor who works in Hindi cinema. He is the current Chairman of Film and Television Institute of India. He has done over 500 films and plays in his career. He has also appeared in acclaimed international films such as Bend It Like Beckham, Lust, Caution, and Silver Linings Playbook. Kher has bagged the Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role five times. He used to be the chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification and the National School of Drama in India. He was awarded by the Government of India with the Padma Shri in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan in 2016.
Name: Anupam Kher
Nickname: Not Known
DOB: March 7, 1955
Birth Place: Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
Home Town: Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
Home Address: 402, Marina, Juhu Tara Road, Juhu, Mumbai
Best Friends: Shekhar Kapoor
Hobbies: Listening to old hindi music, reading
Debut Work: Film – Aagman (Hindi, 1982), Television – Sawaal 10 Crore Ka (As a host, 2001), Directorial – Om Jai Jagadish (2002)
Movies: You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (2010), Lust (2007), Laaga Chunari Mein Daag: Journey Of A Woman (2007), Jaan-e-mann (2006), Veer-Zaara (2004), Bride & Prejudice (2004), Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
TV Serials: Bharatvarsh (2016), 24 Season 1, The Anupam Kher Show- Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai (2014-2015), Lead India (2007-2008), Sense8 (2015), Sawaal Dus Crore Ka, The Indian Detective (2017)
Height: 170 centimetres
Weight: 72 kilograms
Body: Not Known
Hair Color: Bald
Marital Status: Married
Wife: Madhumalati (divorced), Kirron Kher
GF: Not Known
Kids: Sikandar Kher, Actor (Step son)
Father: Late Pushkarnath Kher (part of the Forest Department)
Mother: Dulari Kher
Brother: Raju Kher (Actor)
School: D.A.V. School, Shimla, HP, India
College (Graduation): Punjab University, Chandigarh, India,
College (Post-Graduation): National School of Drama, New Delhi, India
Educational Qualification: Graduate in Theatre Drama
Cars: BMW, Scorpio
Bikes: Not Known
House: two bungalows in Juhu and Andheri
Movies: 4-5 Crore rupees/film (estimate)
TV Shows: 15 Lakh rupees/episode (estimate)
Net Income: $70 Million (estimate)
Film: Not Known
Actor: Robert De Niro, Ranbir Kapoor
Actress: Vidya Balan
Song: Not Known
More Information and Facts about Anupam Kher
- A lot of controvery was created when while speaking in Kolkata at the Telegraph National Debate on Intolerance, Kher mentioned that Yogi Adityanath and Sadhvi Prachi should be thrown out of BJP and jailed.
- He has starred alongside Shahrukh Khan many times in films such as Darr (1993), Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995), Chaahat (1996), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Mohabbatein (2000), Veer-Zaara (2004) and Happy New Year.
- He attempteddirecting with Om Jai Jagadish (2002) and has been a producer having produced and starred in the film Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara (2005).
- He received the Best Actor Award from the Karachi International Film Festival for his presentation. The role of the Police Commissioner Rathore, played by him in A Wednesday is also very much valued.
- Kher is known internationally for Bend It Like Beckham (2002), Bride and Prejudice (2004), Speedy Singhs (2011), his appearance on the hit TV show ER, and more recently in The Mistress of Spices (2006) and Lust, Caution (2007).
- In 2012 he co-starred in the Academy Award-winning Silver Linings Playbook.
- Kher has written and starred in a play about his personal life called Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai, which was directed by Feroz Abbas Khan.
- Until recently he served as chairman of the Indian Film Censor Board. He is an alumnus of National School of Drama (1978 batch) and was its director between 2001 and 2004.
- In 2007, Anupam Kher, with his batchmate of NSD, Satish Kaushik, started a film production company, Karol Bagh Productions. Their first film, Tere Sang, was directed by Satish Kaushik.
- He was selected in 2010 as the goodwill ambassador of the Pratham Education Foundation, which strives to improve children’s education in India.
- In 2011, he starred alongside Mohanlal and Jayaprada in the Malayalam language romantic drama Pranayam. Kher chose Pranayam as one of the seven best films of his career.
- He also starred in a number of Marathi films such as Thoda Tuza…Thoda Maza, Kashala Udyachi Baat and Punjabi films such as Yaaraan naal bahaaraan.
- He has played the father to Parminder Nagra in Bend It Like Beckham (2002) and in ER (1994).
- After attending the National School of Drama, he started his career in theater.
- In 1994 he launched his own entertainment company.
- He was awarded the “Special National Jury Award” and the “Actor of the Decade Award” (Millennium Honours) among others, but he also clutches the top score as the only actor in the industry to have won eight uninterrupted Filmfare awards.
- He is supposed to be one of the founding members of People for Animals.
- Anupam Kher too struggled a lot and from time to time did not have money for even food. He would use his light complexion, baldness and ability to imitate and mimic people, specially foreigners. He would go to eating joints, speak like a foreigner, taste things to full belly and leave. And he says that people really mistook him for some foreigner and never asked for money.
- He starred in the shelved movie Sarathi Chitra’s “Agnee Daor”(1996) starring Ravi Behl,Indrani Banerjee,Kiran Kumar,Anupam Kher, Ishrat Ali and Sadashiv Amrapurkar.
- He dubbed for Poonam Dhillon’s dad’s character in the film Naam.
- Anupam Kher’s face has been used as “Californiia Crook”, the YouTube prank caller. Most of these prank videos have gone viral on YouTube. All videos use a picture of Anupam Kher depicting the fictional prank call caller “California Crook”.